I have been promising myself for a while now that I am going to start paying attention to me again. While I love my family life and tolerate my work life, I have not been doing the things that I like to do for me. Now, don't misunderstand me I have never been a makeup girl. I wear it when I am going out for an evening but lip gloss is all I apply on a day to day basis. With the inspiration of a few makeup savvy friends, I have decided to explore the endless world of lip colors, eye shadowing techniques, and all things face. As I dig my heels into embracing my thirties, I do so with the knowledge that concealer will likely become one of my closest friends when my children keep me up at night. Ahhh, discovery.
On Saturday, April 9th, I had the pleasure of attending the Nordstrom Cosmetic Trend Show. What better way to spend my birthday morning than to immerse myself in all things girly and learn a few things about makeup. I had no idea of the wonders that awaited me as I took my seat in front of the makeup runway in the center of Nordstrom's first floor level. Here are a few things I learned at the Trend Show:
- 6:30am is not too early for makeup.
- Women will line up in the damp morning air hours before the Trend Show is to start much like groupies line up for autographs on their breasts.
- Yes, some of these women will drag their incredibly sad husbands to the show. Yes, these husbands will get pushed by restless makeup seeking hoards of women.
- I am not above engaging in a light jog to get a good seat to see said Trend Show.
- I am not above screaming for free makeup giveaways.
- Cosmetic lines will fly in their most dynamic representatives from around the county and Norway to introduce drooling women to new products in their lines.
- Apparently, every woman should have at least one Chanel cosmetic item in her purse.
- Tweeting during the Trend Show can get you free stuff.
- Skin care is the gateway to the land of the beautiful face but makeup is the garden within.
- When you sleep, your skin works to repair itself. Yes, night recovery treatments are important. Estee Lauder is the industry leader in night recovery. Who knew?
- I can love a makeup line other than Smashbox.
- The Laura Mercier counter is my new addiction.
- Wearing a full face of makeup does not mean you have to overwhelm your face.
- Cream eye shadow gives me goosebumps.
- Black girls look damn good in bronzer.
- You can wear tinted moisturizer, illuminating moisturizer, bronzer, concealer, cream eyeshadow, cream blush and a full lip and look natural and effortless.
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer w/ SPF 20 in Almond is my new confidant. Ohhh, the things we will do together.
- A tight line is a subtly sexy alternative to the standard top lid eye line. With a gel liner and a small flat brush work the color under (not above) the top lashes.
- Clarins Instant Gloss gives my lips the perfect red shade.
- Avaha means love and is the name of a very nice skin care line.
- The Tanda Zap greatly diminishes pimples in 24 to 48 hours. Did I buy it? Yes. Did it work? Yes!
- Yves Saint Laurent has a beautiful eye shadow line. Yes, it is expensive.
- Any and all future Nordstrom gift cards I receive will be spent in the Beauty Department.
I will be attending the show in the fall and cannot wait. Did you attend the Nordstrom Cosmetic Trend Show? What did you think?